Monday, June 7, 2010

The Cow Story!





This is an old post (11th April 2006) from my earlier attempt at blogging. That blog now redirects to this page. There were 9 comments that got deleted. My sincere apologies to all those people who had commented on this post.


Here’s a short story. Once upon a time, I was in 11th standard. The days and nights were dedicated to JEE. One afternoon, I sat in my room struggling through the DPP* when I felt a slight drizzle. Yes, my room has a reinforced concrete cement ceiling and the “rain” came down through it. There are no explanations and questions. Just keep reading.

I recalled that there is a water tank on the roof. As anybody would have done, I ran up the stairs to the roof. It was NOT raining outside and the tank was there as it had always been. I rushed back to my room and the rain had stopped. The floor was wet. My room has two entrances and I noticed that the other door was a much better way to enter since it was not-so-wet there. It took me 10-15 seconds to reach the other door through two more rooms. When I reached there, I saw a cow standing in the middle of my room. I said no questions or explanations… read on. I gaped at it (the cow). It moved its neck (as cows do, or any other bovine does) and looked at me with sagely serenity on its face (as cows have, or any other bovine has). Then it happened. It turned and jumped out of the window. I heard a loud thud of it landing on the porch (yes, I forgot to tell this is all happening on the first floor). By the time, I ran to the window to look at the cow, it was on the road outside the compound wall. I assume it would have been another leap from the porch to the road. The animal seemed the least concerned and was strolling away happily. Story over.

A few things to note: I reiterate that my room is on the first floor. The ground floor was a hospital which was crowded enough not to allow a cow to walk up to the stairs. The stairs are narrow. I have never heard of cows climbing stairs but even if they do, these stairs are far too narrow for any sane animal of that size to think about climbing them. Another noticeable point is that the cow took barely 15 seconds to reach my room which is a bit too fast for it (that is if it took the normal route). This led me to assume that it came through the window (No questions please! I don’t know how). Interestingly, the window has an iron grill and a mosquito net. The cow passed through it without damaging it. No it was not a very small size cow and neither did it shrink and pass through. It simply passed as if it was a 3-D projected image (But there was the thud on landing). One final word, this is a true story.

Now the point is what the hell? How? Why? Well, the answer is I don’t know. I simply don’t know. It did happen. I was not day-dreaming. I cleaned up my room (The rain had left it all dirty). I do not expect anybody to believe it. Yes it left me bewildered too. I don’t know how, but had it happened to you what would you have done. Would you have kept it to yourself simply because you were the only one who witnessed it and others would not believe you? I shared with the world and the expected aftermath happened. I was laughed at. The story was made a joke. It is famous among all my peers as “the cow story”. There have been instances when strangers used to ask me, “hey, aren’t you the guy whose room was visited by a cow”. I asked, “Do you even know that my room being visited by a cow is weird or not”. They had no answer.

My friends made different versions of the story. There are versions where grass grew in my room and the cow ate it, it defecated in my room before jumping off the window with a parachute… etc. My friends laugh at it. I don’t care. I also laugh and enjoy when the story is discussed. Yes it is painful to tell it again and again. But I insist that it did happen. I saw it happening.

PS: Comments and questions are welcome.

* DPP: Daily practice problems. JEE aspirants at Bansal Classes, Kota have to bear them.

No comments: